C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:40:06 -0600
Ken,

While I don't completely agree with Lynda, I don't completely agree with
you either.  There are too many people in the US who receive substandard
health care, or no health care because of our "privatized system."  With
the cuts that have happened and are proposed for Medicare and Medicaid
that will only become worse.

I live in Wyoming, a state whose economy has directly benefited from
Bush administration policies.  Our economy is based mostly on taxes from
production of oil, natural gas and coal, so as energy prices have gone
up, so have state revenues.  As federal match rates for governmental
health insurance programs have been reduced, states without increased
revenue have been forced to reduce health coverage for their residents.
As illustrated in a link Meir sent to an article posted on MSNBC talking
about unemployment and under-employment of people with disabilities, a
large number of people with disabilities are forced to rely on
governmental assistance for health care.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who would love to be able
to work, but in addition to his CP, he has seizures, requiring over
$300.00 per month in medications, and the necessary doctors visits to
keep those meds regulated.  Because of his disabilities, he isn't able
to get jobs that traditionally provide health care benefits, and as such
is forced to stay underemployed or unemployed to maintain his Medicaid
eligibility.

The Merck case is one that, IMHO, should be allowed to stand, because
Merck researchers knew of potential cardiac effects of the drug, and
concealed that information.  I've taken Vioxx, and think it's a good
drug, but the company should have made the information about its
potential deleterious effects public knowledge, so that doctors would
have been able to present full information to their patients, and to
accurately weigh the potential risks against the potential benefits of
prescribing the drug.

Many (if not most) hospitals are now publicly held corporations, and so
ownership may be by doctors, or plumbers, or school teachers.  If I
remember correctly Linda, you, or your daughter, work in the travel
industry.  Should you be prohibited from owning shares in United
Airlines or Hilton Hotels because of that?

Because of the way the US healthcare (read: insurance) system is
currently structured, doctors are often placed in the position of
discharging patients before they feel they are ready.  When my wife had
a Baclofen pump placed a month ago, she was still vomiting as we got in
the car to go home.  Her doctor would have liked her to stay another
day, not because it made him or the hospital more money, but because he
knew that our trip home (a 3 hour drive) would be unpleasant at best.
He'd been able to get our insurance to cover an additional 24 hours, but
they weren't willing to do more time without an additional diagnosis,
which wasn't warranted.

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950