C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:59:41 -1000
I work for lawyers on these types of cases - personal injury civil
lawsuits. Without civil law average people would have no recourse
against government or business. Yes the attorneys who take them get a
percentage of the settlement. That percentage is set by statute on a
state by state basis,  always to my knowledge less than half. They
also front all the costs, experts, research, motions to dismiss,
discovery, motions to compel, and expertly prevail over a myriad of
legal problems no one thinks about. Their payday is often years away.
Most people would never have the resources to do this by the hour in
order to protect themselves and if the attorneys lose they take the
financial hit. If you think it is easy to fight big business when
they damage people, you might want to think again. Civil attorneys
have always been heroes of mine, they brought us equal rights, civil
rights, disability law and have fought to put into law just about
every other progressive idea on the planet.