From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:38:37 -0400
Tom,

I agree that we can't blame the university network for this
one.  Maybe you should look for things that modify the icons in your
Start Menu, although I can't think of anything that does, or even
imagine why anyone would ever want to modify those icons.  I still
suspect that the system may be doing some kind of scheduled
restore.  I think there may be a log that shows those, although I
don't remember where it is or what it's called.  You might look at
the event logs, which you can find under Administrative
Tools.  Examining them might give you a few hints.

Steve