C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:48:12 -0700
My thought initial is: "Why would they have to be changed back?  A wider
door makes a facility useable by more people, not less, so once it's
been done, the pool of potential renters is permanently expanded.

Question I wonder is how many units are in the apartment complex,
because from an economic standpoint, it makes sense to have improved
accessibility, especially in larger buildings.  The greater the number
of units in either a transient housing facility (hotel, motel) or a
"permanent" housing facility (apartments) make it more difficult for an
owner to prove undue hardship.

The "without much cost or expense" or "undue hardship" provisions are so
vague as to render the law considerably less useful than it should be.
I'm frankly surprised that a large retail corporation hasn't used that
vagueness in challenges to the law.

Section 36.304 of the ADA addresses removal of barriers in places of
public accommodation, which includes rental housing:

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/reg3a.html#Anchor-91481

People refer to the ADA as the most important piece of civil rights
legislation for people with disabilities in the last twenty years, but
if the '64 civil rights act had been written the same way, there'd still
be separate drinking fountains for non-white people.

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950