From:
Terri Pannett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 09:54:22 -0800
Dear List,

The discussion of light probes brought back memories of when I used to work
as a switchboard operator for several companies.  The light probes I used
came from the Telephone Pioneers in Oregon and it consisted of a light
sensor connected to a speaker which looked like a small transistor radio.
These probes worked well on the old cord boards and they also worked on the
Dimension console and a console from Japan called the Oki.  In the case of
the Oki, the green lights had to be replaced with red or white lights.  The
probes cost about $20 but they were designed to work with switchboards with
very dull lights.  I'm sure they must not be made anymore, since the demise
of the good old switchboards.  I still have one fo the light sensors but I
stupidly threw away the speaker that went with it.

Last week, there was a power outage at my apartment complex which lasted
several hours.  My phone still worked because I have a corded speakerphone
but the phone system in the managers' office was dependent on electricity so
they couldn't receive any calls from us.  I can't understand why, in this
day of technology, a telephone system would be dependent on PG&E.  Even in
the days of the cord boards there were battery-operated systems!  Perhaps
someone could explain this phenomenon to me.  I don't know what kind of
system is in the managers' office, but I can find out.  This place is full
of seniors who may need emergency assistance that's the reason for on-site
managers, and it seems dumb to me communications should be so poor.

Terri, Amateur Radio call sign KF6CA.  Army MARS call sign AAT9PX,
California