From:
Christopher Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:29:06 -0400
Hello,
There have been some recent questions asked about use of digital modes.
I too have played around with digipan software with limited success.
All the psk31 programs I've researched rely heavily on the use of a
waterfall display and/or a frequency spectrum display as tuning aids.
So, for a blind user or for someone who has trouble using a mouse, we're
at a distinct disadvantage.  I think it is indeed possible to design an
accessible program for the blind, but I haven't seen anything out there.
What is missing is the ability of the software to intelligently
analyze the signals as opposed to relying on the user to pick out
frequencies and adjust the signal strength with a mouse.

This brings me back to the discussion of cw.  While it is simple and
arcane (in some circles), it is a mode which a blind person can operate
easily.  Even ssb
has its drawbacks for a blind person when it comes to setting the audio
gain.  Sure, you can rely on signal reports to determine whether you
have splatter, but that's not the same as viewing the signal on a scope.

So while it's fun to tout the advantages of the various operating modes,
we need to ask the accessibility questions as part of the analysis.

73
Chris w1gm