From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:11:04 -0400
Hank,

My favorite for psk  is still digipan.  Had some fair success with it a few
years ago.  But a new pc with a different os (xp), and later versions of
Jaws have  not worked so well for me.  Now Jaws  won't read the incoming
text correctly,  repeating the entire line as each new character is
received.   I have found that going into the  fonts menu in Digipan and
setting it to a large number like 32 will  sometimes get it working
properly.  But it doesn't always work and isn't always repeatable.  I keep
thinking  that someday I'll get back into it and really make it work, but
never get around to it.

As for RTTY, it is still very popular and is a lot of fun.   When I still
had some usable vision, I ran MMTTY  and set it up with  black backround and
large yellow font.  Have the same problem  now with reading incoming text
and it's something else I'd like to get back into.   Personal preference,
but if I could only get 1 digital mode, it would be RTTY.

Both Digipan and MMTTY are freeware.  Do a google search if interested.  Any
HF receiver with ssb and a  simple audio cable from radio to pc sound card
will allow you to hear  what is going on  out there.  Digitalk psk for the
blind is also freeware and while it is cumbersom and has few features, can
also give you an idea of weather  this is something you would wish to
pursue in the future.

Good luck, and look for me in the Pennsylvania QSO party this weekend.

Steve KW3A