From:
Ham Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:41:37 -0400
Well, one thing I think everybody is missing. In all my years as a ham, S
was never meant to coincide with an S-Meter reading, it was a relative
indication of signal strength.

For one thing, I generally have an S5 noise level, so somebody who was an S5
I'd probably give a 449 or whatever, assuming that somebody right in the
noise wouldn't be easily read.  Somebody S9 to maybe 10 over, I might give
an 8.  A very strong signal I'd give a 9.

Of course, in working SSB, I alsways give an S-meter reading and even before
a talking S-Meter came along, I was pretty good at approximating 10 or 20
over.

Steve, K8SP