NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Sandra Sheeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:41:42 -0800
If you are going to challenge, definitely do it under close medical supervision.  We did a challenge with my son when he was about 3 or 4.  They started with a minute amount of powdered milk hidden in applesauce and waited 15 or 20 minutes to watch for any signs of a reaction.  Then they would double the amount of milk hidden in the applesauce, each time watching for any signs of reaction before proceeding.  If he had passed all the stages of the challenge (I think there were at least 12), the last step would have been to have him drink an 8 ounce glass of milk.  Then they would observe him for at least 4 hours.  The purpose of drinking the cup of milk was to make sure that he wouldn't have a reaction to a normal sized serving of the allergen, and also to reassure both my son and us that it was safe.  Apparently without this last step some people are still reluctant to actually consume the food that they were previously allergic to.  Also, watching for several hours
 afterward is a good idea in case the person has a delayed reaction.

My son actually consumed the equivelant of approximately 1/2 cup of milk before he showed a definite reaction.  Although the test did confirm his allergy, it did give us the reassurance that if he did accidentally ingest some milk it was probably not going to be an immediate, life-threatening reaction.  Hope this helps.

Sandy Sheeley