C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:38:12 -0400
From:
Linda Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
Gary,

Yep, the first day of school is always a big question and answer
session for me.  I walk around the room and tell kids they can nask
me anything they want and nobody ever wants to ask why I walk funny,
but I can see them watching my legs...so I point to those kids and
say "I know you have a question for me"...and eventually someone
works up the nerve to ask, I put them all at ease and then the
questionsn start flowing.  Parents often tell me that their kids
didn't even mention my disability to them.  I make a point to discuss
it with them too at parents night the first few weeks of school so
everyone knows what is up in case the kids do have questions, but
both kids and parents have all told me they just kinda forget about
it because I am so open about it and just deal.

I've done some talks for different grade levels during "health fairs"
at my school...love having the kids walk with a wooden block between
their knees to get a sense of what it feels like to have cp.  The
little kids are the best because they have no fear of asking what is
on their mind.

Now that I resigned to be able to stay home with my 16 month-old and
finish my doctorate, I'll miss that.  But I don't miss grading all
the assessments and dealing with overprotective parents!

Linda