From:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:28:40 -0500

[A caveat for the following:  this is information I have gleaned from
my personal research into this subject.  If anyone can provide me
with certifiable information that I am incorrect, then I will be
happy to summarize in a follow-up post.]

Listen, folks, the reason that you cannot find out whether or not
gluten is in your drugs is not the fault of the pharmacist.  It is
the fault of the USDA and of the big pharmaceutical companies who do
not seem especially concerned about taking any responsibility for
providing this information.  (And all of the following applies to OTC
as well as prescription drugs.)

The pharmacist cannot get the information any more easily than we
consumers can in most cases.  The inserts inside the drugs do not
have to contain the information you seek, nor does the PDR
(Physicians Desk Reference) necessarily contain that information.
Typically, even calling the drug manufacturer (if it is one of the
big ones) will not result in any reasonable information.  [It is my
experience that most pharmacists do not even know that all
ingredients are not necessarily disclosed in the inserts or PDR.]

That said, there is a bit of a silver lining to the information I've
written below, and that is the VAST MAJORITY OF PRESCRIPTION DRUGS
ARE GLUTEN-FREE.  Also, given the rigorous laboratory conditions
under which drugs are produced, it is unlikely for there to be
cross-contamination issues from other products.

It is far more the exception than the rule for a drug to contain
gluten, though it can happen.  And, especially if you plan on taking
a drug for a long period of time ("the rest of your life" would
certainly qualify), it seems reasonable to find out as much as
possible with regard to whether or not the drug is gluten-free.

There is an excellent list of drugs, researched for gluten --
mentioned here on this list many times.  Before you panic about
anything, consult this list:  http://glutenfreedrugs.com/

If you find the drug you want to take on that list, it has been
researched to be gluten-free.  However, if you cannot find the drug
you are taking on that list, it is time for you to gird your loins
and proceed forward knowing the following.

Do not be misled into thinking that the laws that govern food labels
are the same as laws that govern pharmaceuticals.  There are NO
requirements for drug companies to provide information either on the
label, in the drug insert, in the PDR or upon verbal request
regarding gluten (wheat or otherwise).  Consumers simply do not seem
to "get" this.  Because it involves drugs, they seem to automatically
believe that everything would be required to be disclosed.  So
wrong!!  The best a large drug company can usually do is tell you
that the "original" formulation of a given drug did or did not
contain gluten.  However, if changes are made to that drug
formulation along the way, they are not required to even KNOW about
it unless it involves changes in the DRUG itself, not the substrate
or capsule that carries the drug.

Large, mega-$billion pharma companies basically currently make it a
practice of NOT providing this information, without a bunch of
caveats, for most of their drugs -- whether to the public or to the
pharmacists.  And the reason is that (1) they are not REQUIRED by the
FDA to disclose gluten (not even wheat) and (2) they job out the
manufacture of most of their drugs to many, many smaller labs, which
are also not required to provide information about gluten and other
ingredients (other than the actual medicine portion of the pill).
So, when you call a drug company and get a lot of double talk, and
CYA-rhetoric, this is why.  It is also why reading the insert or
looking the drug up in the PDR can mean nothing, if you are looking
for gluten information.

A bit ironically, we (just consumers with celiac) can often find out
real information about many GENERIC drugs -- but only by directly
calling the specific lab that produces the drug you are researching.
Many of these smaller labs still produce the drugs themselves
in-house, and they know exactly what goes into them.  And they are
happy (if not proud) to provide this information.

So, quit ripping off the heads of your pharmacists because you are
frustrated with this situation.  If you want to vent and change
things, write to your senators and congress reps!  Why shouldn't drug
companies comply with the same (or, I might say, BETTER) allergen
laws that govern our foods?

It is ridiculous to me that drug companies get away with so much at
just about every turn, when food manufacturers like Kraft can provide
information about gluten on the far more complex and greater number
of products they produce.  (Don't get me started on Medicare-D and
the drug companies, or all of you really will take me for a
conspiracist!)