From:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:21:54 -0500

Hi all,

I have to say that I always have just the tiniest moment of hesitancy
when posting anything to this list.  When you have several thousand
different people, with varying interests and levels of experience
with celiac, you're bound to say something confusing or that gets
misinterpreted.

Before I begin, though, I just wanted to say how much appreciate all
the heartfelt thank you's for posting the big brand list.  I really
do hope the list provides some sanity to a few folks -- at least
until IT becomes outdated! :-)  (Which could be next week, of course!)

But, some confusion and misinterpretations to address.

(1)  I want to make very clear that there are a number of very
well-researched, comprehensive and totally legitimate product lists
out there -- such as those published by Delphi Forums, CSA, Clan
Thompson and others.  I personally use these lists all the time, and
am so grateful for them!  I am absolutely NOT discounting the
information on these types of products lists.  They are excellent and
the people creating them are very responsible.

However, I find (for myself) that these individual product lists --
while indispensable -- can sometimes become overwhelming to manage.
A lot of the brands and products listed are regional (as in not
available where I live), and there are so many sources that I own a
loose-leaf binder that is 2" thick, stuffed with product list pages.
Some of these lists are available for hand-held computers, but I
don't use one of those.  Plus, because manufacturers can reformulate
a product at the drop of a hat, you still have to thoroughly read all
labels and sometimes STILL have to call the maker of the product.

So I just thought it would be useful to publish those *nationally*
available brands that simply say you can TRUST what they write on
their ingredients labels.  Two pages, tops -- to carry around in my
purse at all times ... or even to give to friends and relatives who
struggle to safely feed me on occasion.  It doesn't cover everything,
but it sure does cover a lot.

The ubiquitously quoted "list" of brands that I was referring to in
my original post is one (that takes on a few forms) that keeps
popping up on general celiac forums, personal web pages, blogs and
general community celiac web pages.  From all I can tell, from just
researching this list via Google, it started up c. early 2004 --
before the new labeling laws even existed.  It is pretty much
impossible at this time to figure where the list began, but it would
seem that things really have changed since then.  Other big brands
have joined the ranks of those that disclose gluten, and a few other
big brands have backed off -- perhaps realizing that they do not have
enough information from their own ingredients suppliers to guarantee
that all gluten is disclosed on the label.

So, for all you great groups that provide comprehensive and
frequently updated product lists -- PLEASE KNOW that these are
fabulous -- and I was not putting them down in any way.

(2)  It's difficult for someone like me, who's been at this for over
4 years now, to realize how confusing the whole labeling issue is for
people recently diagnosed.  The lists I posted sent a few readers
into a total tailspin of confusion.  I somehow assume these folks
have been armed by their doctors or dietitians with better knowledge
and understanding of food labels -- but it seems that some are truly
out there without a paddle.

For those folks, I will attempt a short and basic (mainstream) food
labeling explanation:

In January 2006, a new food labeling law took effect, which required
food manufacturers to list what is called "the Big 8" allergens on
their labels.  Prior to this time, there were a handful of
responsible brands that listed everything (Kraft and General Mills
were both on the cutting edge with their commitments to this).  But,
most mainstream products required a phone call to ask about
ingredients, or you needed to reference to one of the big,
comprehensive product listings I noted above.

The Big 8 allergens include wheat, but not other gluten coming from
barley, rye or oats.  Other gluten -- just as toxic to us as wheat --
is not required to appear on packaging.  If you have a wheat
intolerance, but other gluten doesn't affect you -- you are a lucky
duck.  But if you have celiac disease, and cannot have any gluten of
any type, you aren't all that much better off than you were before
the law went into effect.

But, thankfully, there are a number of large national brands that are
committed to making sure that gluten is always disclosed among their
product ingredients.  The purpose of my list was to update and verify
what mega-brands, at a TOP LEVEL, make sure each of their products
(from all subsidiaries) are labeled in a way that discloses all
gluten.  So, for instance, if you pick up a bottle of enchilada
sauce, and see on the label that it is a subsidiary brand of Kraft --
there are no gluten ingredients in that product IF wheat, barley, rye
or oats are not labeled on the ingredient list.  If any are listed --
obviously, leave it on the shelf!

Perhaps not so short.  Perhaps not so clear.  And, boy, I don't blame
any newbie who doesn't get the basics of label reading for gluten.
It is absolutely overwhelming.  I blame the medical professionals for
leaving these folks without the tools they need to survive.

(3)  The mega-brands that I listed make products WITH gluten and also
products that have no gluten ingredients.  They are NOT manufacturers
who produce only gluten-free products.  You MUST read the label to
determine if it has gluten or not.  But at least you can trust what
you read on the label.  Gosh, I sure thought this was clear, but
apparently not for all.  So, I do hope it is clear now.  I'd hate to
see someone buying Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, just because it is made
by Kraft.  YIKES!

PEACE to all.  :-)  And may you all have the most food "safe"
holidays possible!!

~ Suzanne