From:
Beth Hillson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:16:34 -0400

Dear Listserve Subscribers,

Fresh nectarines and peaches are so plentiful this time of year that I was
inspired to make the Spiced Nectarine Cake below when company arrived for
dinner unexpectedly.  When I served it to my guests, no one could believe it
was gluten-free.  Not only does it taste yummy, but the presentation is
beautiful.  Best of all, it’s easy to make.  I started with GLUTEN-FREE
PANTRY OLD FASHIONED CAKE AND COOKIE MIX.

Here’s the recipe.  I hope you enjoy it.

SPICED NECTARINE CAKE

1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
2 cups Old Fashioned Cake & Cookie Mix or 1, 15-oz bag minus 2 Tbs.
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon peel
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
4 –5 medium nectarines halved, each half cut into 4 slices
3 Tbs. sugar combined with 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 9-inch springform pan.   Beat the
butter until fluffy.  Add the cake mix and beat until crumbly.  Add the
eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Then add lemon rind and
juice and beat just to incorporate.  Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.

Arrange nectarine slices atop batter in concentric circles to completely
cover the batter.  Press lightly to adhere.  Don’t worry if slices are not
perfect.  The cake will partially cover the fruit as it bakes.  Sprinkle
sugar-cinnamon mixture over cake.  Bake until golden and tester inserted
into the center comes out clean, about 55-60 min.  Remove sides of pan.
Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.  Garnish with whipped cream or
ice cream before serving.  Serves 8.

All Gluten-Free Pantry and Glutino products are available at your favorite
market or on-line store.

Happy Gluten-Free Baking!
Beth Hillson
Founder, Gluten-Free Pantry