From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:05:16 -0400

Celiacs were mentioned in a piece on NPR today along with Asian Americans
and Hispanics as groups who consume more rice than the average American and
who should be concerned about findings of higher percentage of arsenic in
rice grown in America (particularly in the South) than rice grown in other
countries (in general.  Bangladesh has high levels of arsenic in the soil
and therefore in rice grown there).  Here's a link to a USA Today article
about
this:  http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-08-02-rice_x.htm.  The
bright side is that celiac disease got a mention!

Hold on- here's another link that gives some reassurance about these findings:
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/83/i32/8332notw9.html.  For one thing, you'd
have to eat a pound of rice a day to get a toxic dose.  But, as for me, I'd
rather not have any arsenic in my diet, thank you!

Mary in Upstate NY

*******
*******