From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:12:48 EST

The new allergen labeling requirements challenges our preception of how we
read labels on foods. Previously it was "When in doubt, leave it out" and we
needed to verify the specific source of EVERY ingredient.  Under the allergen
labeling, we just have to know what it is NOT--It doesn't matter if the food
starch it's corn or tapioca, as long as it's NOT wheat.  I've found it's a hard
concept for many to grasp since it requires giving up control & trusting others.

Part of the problem is that manufacturers don't know which questions to ask
their suppliers regarding gluten or the FDA codes that the suppliers must
follow for specific ingredients.  Unless a manufacture actually makes these
ingredients, knowing how they are made & what's in them is not part of its job
description.  (The USDA has a separate set of specifications for meat & poultry
online at http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Help/FAQs_Flavorings/index.asp#1 )

There was a GREAT post a month or so ago at
http://www.gfutah.org/label_reading.htm  about reading product labels.
Thanks to those to compiled that info & GF Utah for posting it.

This specifically addresses the g.f  status of several questionable
ingredients regulated by FDA since the Allergen Labeling Bill went into effect.

For the newbies, many of the names attached to various sections are people
who are well versed in celiac and as a celiac of 25 years, I trust them with my
food/life.  The names I don't recognize just cite specific sections of the FDA
code....

What many may not realize is that violations/undisclosed allergen of the new
law can result in criminal and civil penalties as well as costly product
recalls.  Unfortunately, proving mislabeling can be difficult since you have to
present a sample of the actual product that was eaten.  A different package of
the same product won't work.  .

To be well informed, everyone should check out the info out for themselves
http://www.gfutah.org/label_reading.htm

However, this is the cheat sheet (for the trusting souls out there) that I
compiled for our group's newsletter for those without internet access.

ALWAYS CONTAINS GLUTEN
Hydrolyzed wheat protein
Malt
Malt flavoring
Malt syrup
Malt vinegar
Wheat starch

GLUTEN-FREE Ingredients, under allergen labeling law
Annatto
Artificial flavors
Caramel color (in US made products).
Canola oil
Corn gluten
Ethyl alcohol
Enriched rice
Hydrolyzed soy protein
Lecithin
Maltodextrin
Modified food starch  (g.f. unlessidentified as from "wheat")
Mono- & Di- gycerides
Spices,
Vanilla extract,
Vinegar (All) EXCEPT Malt vinegar

QUESTIONABLE--Avoid until you can verify it's from a g.f. source.
Dextrin as an ingredient on a food label may or may not be gluten-free
depending upon how it is prepared.
Natural Flavors as an ingredient on a food label may or may not be
gluten-free. If the natural flavor contains malt flavor it is not gluten-free.

Bev Lieven in Milwaukee

*******
*******