ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:34:07 +0100
OK, here you have it from SNOPES:

Boil on Troubled Waters

Claim:   Water boiled in a microwave oven can suddenly "explode."

Example:   [Collected on the Internet, 1999]

Microwaving Water to Heat it Up

I feel that the following is information that any one who uses a microwave
oven to heat water should be made aware of. About five days ago my 26-year
old
son decided to have a cup of instant coffee. He took a cup of water and put
it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times
before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for but he told me he
wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven off, he
removed
the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup he noted that the water was
not boiling but instantly the water in the cup "blew up" into his face. The
cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand but all the water had
flew out into his face due to the buildup of energy. His whole face is
blistered
and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face which may leave scarring. He
also may have lost partial sight in his left eye.

While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this
a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a
microwave
oven. If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the
cup to diffuse the energy such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc. It is
however
a much safer choice to boil the water in a tea kettle. Please pass this
information on to friends and family.

Carol's conclusion:  Yes, it can happen but probably not as regularly as the
doc was suggesting!

I think it's more likely with substances added (part milk and coffee,
perhaps, though I have no proof of that).  In our case I definitely think it
could have been a problem with the glass mug - so I'm saying the utensil
used may have a bearing.

Go figure!  I'll go back to sleep!

--
Carol - Reading, UK

To you, o Lord, I lift up my soul;
In You I trust, o my God.  . . .."  PS25:1-2 NIV.