ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:44:48 -0600
     I have been thinking about making mention of this for some
time so now is as good as any.  Don't be offended because nobody
is being singled out, nor blamed, in any way, shape, or form.  So
just stop thinking I'm talking about you personally right now
because I am not.

     I have been running mailing lists for 16 years.  I had about
six mailing lists once upon a time and read hundreds of messages
every day.  I have turned over all my mailing lists to other
people, including echurch.  Vicki literally owns the list now and
I am just a list moderator.  That allows me to send in list
commands, put people on no mail, subscribe people asking to join,
and stuff like that.

     We only have about 35 people on this list.  Many are no mail.
About a dozen of us post while everyone else just reads.  So, in
short, for a dozen people, we often post a bunch of mail.

     Forwarding messages is fine if we don't get carried away.
Yes, we can use the delete key but for those of us who are blind
and using screen readings, it takes extra time.

     Additionally, something else people often don't realize is
that you do not have to reply to every message that is posted.  If
you do, and I do, and everybody else does, here comes 30 more
messages saying, Thanks for posting that, or, great post.  Don't
forget, you can always email the person off the list and tell them
how you enjoyed what they said.  I post a lot of things I write.
You can write me off line if you liked it or have a comment or a
question.  See how easy it is and how that alone would scale back
a mailing list.  What if we had 2,000 subscribers on here?  Think
about it.

     finally, there are some who leave echurch because they are
members of many other lists and they think we have too much mail.
That's why it is better, rather than posting articles and the
like, to post where we can get them.  Clicking on a link posted in
an email message is super easy when you want the information a
person wants to share.  For example, when I mentioned Vicki's
birthday, I probably should have suggested everybody write her off
list but I didn't think of it.  Yes, it is ok to chat, sort of
speak, on the list.  We all do it but sometimes we all do it too
much and drive people away.

     So, now that you are mad, I'm sorry and I still love you and
I am not thinking of any one person regardless of what you might
think.

Phil.

He's ready when you are.
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com