C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:29:48 -0500
You mean susceptible, don't you?   And yes, some people are more
likely to get lung cancers than others, but remember that it's not
all genetics or all environmental causes.  It's a combination of the
two and very hard to predict.

My mother died of a fast-killing lung disease - not cancer - that was
likely related to her working with toxious chemicals when working for
the film industry in Hollywood in the 1940s and 1950s.  She did
smoke, but doctors didn't think her disease was triggered by the
smoking.  My opinion is, it might not have been the direct cause but
it certainly didn't help her any.

I myself smoked for seven years but I never smoked more than a half a
pack a day and found it very easy to quit and it's been almost 30
years since I quit.  I don't like eating in restaurants that still
have smoking sections, and I think it's fine to outlaw smoking in
public places, but I don't think anyone has any right to tell smokers
they can't smoke in the privacy of their own homes.

Kat