C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christine Ode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:48:20 -0600
     That was one of the best things about Muderball… it was real. When my basketball team lost in the quarterfinals at the 2001 national championships we were not all smiles and high fives... we were athletes that had come to win. There was foul language, anger and tears. Too bad I graduated that year because they went back to win it the next.
     I know a lot of rugby players who saw that movie and are impressed with the guys in the movie because they are rugby players not because they are in chairs. The whole U of Michigan rugby team went to see it together. They all said they would love to watch the tournment on TV.
     The biggest myth I dispel when I speak to groups is that the Paralymics are NOT the Special Olympics.  Not to say Special O isn't fantastic it is... just that the level of competition and athleticism is totally different. It is sad that my friend Paul who played basketball in the Sydney Paralympic Games had to have security in Australia he was such a star but here, in the country he represents, no one knows his name.
     I had hoped the media attention of Murderball would mean increased coverage of the games but it still not much in comparison to some places… at least it’s getting a little better!

Christine