From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:57:09 -0500
On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 09:48:42PM -0000, mike wrote:
> Mmm port 25 I think that is s s h on linux

Actually, port 25 is smtp (outgoing mail), and a lot of ISP's block it
to all but their mail server. ssh is on port 22, telnet on 23, ftp on
20 and 21.

 as to the common ports refered to
> I would hardly think all ports between 100 to 10,000 common as I don't nuse
> echo I don't know what ports they use Im not getting at you personally it is
> a point of issue the people who posted that use ports around 8080 ish I
> don't know what ports skype uses but that don't seem to work
either.

Sometimes, people put web servers and so on on port 8080 instead of
just port 80. I'm finding it hard to believe that Verizon (or any ISP,
for that matter) would block all ports between 100 and 10000. Some,
certainly, and no idea about Skype either. If this is happening, it
severely limits the usefulness of a broadband connection. And if it
is, it's happening on a very regional basis. I just have to wonder if
someone's posting a gripe (not you, really) but don't know how to
operate their provided equipment. Admittedly, the Westell router's a
bitch to work with.

I know
> nothing about bit torants. Never used them but streaming I know a great deal
> about as I work in broadcasting. Mainly AM/ FM stuff. Not got near to DAB
> yet.

Well--I know nothing about streaming (yet), but maybe I can learn from
you. Bittorrent picks random ports to use, if what I remember reading
is actually what I read, so it's not so easy to pin them down...and
you can specify a port if you like.

I can tell you that my Verizon DSL has been pretty trouble-free for
several years, in spite of my dislike of the actual company. Course, I
don't really have any love for Time/Wanrer, either, so it's a choice
between one horrible company and another, so I picked the less
expensive of the two. Behind my router, I have five computers and  a VOIP
adapter (Sunrocket). One of the computers runs a Top Speed game now
and then. One of them is now dedicated to IRLP and Echolink...you can
feel free to drop in on Echolink 17681 or IRLP 4147. :) No trouble,
even with some bittorrenting, IRLP/Echolink, and a VOIP phone call :)