From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:19:55 -0500
On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 12:19:36PM -0000, mike wrote:
> To who it was who said that verizon do not block ports I found the
> following.
>
> VERIZON BLOCKS ALL COMMON INTERNET PORTS!

Well--they sure don't in this area, anyhow. And get real...do you
really consider the ports Echolink uses "common"? They may block ports
that known (or popular) servers traditionally run on (it's very
popular for port 25 to be blocked, for instance, a really annoying
habit), but I hardly think they'd bother with Echolink's ports. The
reason for blocking ports is, generally, to keep people from setting
up file servers or mail servers that would swamp bandwidth and prevent
residential users from using their DSL (or cable) connections in some
way that the powers-that-be deem inappropriate, most of these reasons
having to do with file sharing or spam i suspect. Do you really think
that a ham radio VOIP application (a very niche use) would even hit
their radar? Be for real!

Again, this doesn't have anything at all to do with the internal
network behind the router. If they have ports blocked, of course it's
to an outside IP address, and there's no good reason to block all
inbound traffic, only traffic that could be easily subject to
abuse....at least, in the minds of the bean counters and people like
that.