From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 18:23:23 -0600
Yes, but stations hear the Omni consistently as louder.  I am again
askingg for input from other ts480 users.  I am especially curious to
see if the audio sounds fuller and louder with different microphones
than the hand mike.  This is not a discussion about the testing
difficulties of accureately measuring PEP, I am trying to compare
mikes and rigs to see if there is an inconsistency here, and or if
paying for a new mike will put the radio in a better compedative position.
I don't really care about meter readings, I do really care about
making and keeping contacts.
I have noticed this in listening to stations over the years.  ts440's
and 520's for example usually seem clear but not particularly
loud.  Icoms and tentecs seem fuller and louder as a
generalization.  Yaesu's are in the middle over all.
Add amps and everything goes out the window.  I discovered about 20
EB of noise in the house.  Never realized it was that bad until I
turned off the breaker where it is comming from.  Absolutely
amazed.  The noise sounds like standard band background, now to get
rid of it permanently.
I was afraid to get this amp working because of how many stations I
wasn;'t hearing.  Well, I am hearing them now.  Just heard a PA4 from
Amsterdam on 3.794 SSB.  That was at 5-30 in the afternoon.  The band
must be in fantastic shape, and or he has a hell of a
station.  Either way, we don't hear that in a city in the Midwest.