From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:10:25 -0700
your not testing adequitly on ssb.
If you are using a whistle it doesn't always work properly through the
microphone cartridge....and if you aren't whistling exactly 1000HZ, then it
won't give you proper readings.
If you are holding the mike close to a speaker or something, again, you
aren't modulating the  appropriate amount to show full output.
The reason the omni shows higher power with the same noise is because it
probably has a different microphone preamp circuit which allows what ever
noise you are using to drive it up to high power.

Also, if you are using a non-peak reading meter, you won't get a really high
reading anyway...you would have to keep the noise source going for at least
ten seconds and check the power output on the meter every 2 seconds to
really get a good average reading.

The rig obviously puts out full power on CW so there isn't anything wrong
with it.
Try using the processor and the same noise you have been using and see if
you can get 100 watts out of it on ssb.

Just for reference, normal voice peaks will only peak to about 40 or 50
watts anyway.
73
Colin, V A6BKX