From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:21:18 -0600
yes, to all.
you may only hear it for very brief periods of time though.  Don't be
discouraged by this, its normal if you are using a vertical antenna.
Because the source of the signal is passing over your from horizon to
horizon, the vertical antenna will only pick up a fraction of the entire sky
so you will only hear the signal a few minutes before and after it passes
you.
I think the space station has a 145MHZ downlink, so yes, you can hear it
with a 2M rig...most satelites in orbit though have a UHF downlink and VHF
up link.

also, as the space station goes over, you will get the doppler effect, such
as when you hear an ambulence go by with its siren on, the tone of the siren
seems to alter as it gets farther away, the same is true with radio waves
from space.  As they pass over, the frequency will change a bit.
If you happen to hear the signals from the space station, try to set your
radio on 1KHZ steps to try and offset the doppler effect.
You will have to move your vfo to compensate.  This will allow you to hear
the maximum amount of signal for the maximum amount of time that you can
pick it up.
There are pass prediction programs out there which are fairly accessible
that will tell you the approximate time all of the various amateur radio
satelites, including the space station will be passing over your area.
Satscape is one that comes to mind...they're all free too i might add.

73
Colin, V A6BKX