From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 00:31:05 -0400
hi Walt,

I agree with this totally.  I don't know how old you are, but in the early
days of TV-say the 50's and 60's, the sports broadcasters like Kirk Gouty
and Ken Coleman had come directly from radio and they tended to stay focused
on the game itself.  Also, because of the lack of modern camera technology
and large screen media, announcers still had to fill in a lot of the blanks.
Now this really isn't necessary and in a few cases, the networks have
actually experimented with removing the announcers completely.  I listened
to one of these games and by paying attention to the PA address, I was at
least able to find out what happened after each play.  This is not much
worse than the current status of listening to the TV announcers anyway.

Take care.