From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:18:27 -0500
		Get ready for Tom Oharra.

christian record computer setup instructions.txt

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may
prevent sending or receiving certain types of file
attachments.  Check your e-mail security settings to determine how
attachments are handled.

I would like to make the Christian record donated computers as uniform as we can, so that it will be as easy as possible for us to help the people who get them. That way we will have a good idea how the machine is set up. Christian record computers. If you will be using speech to set up the computer do the following: 1. Use Narrator “windows key –u” to get the computer talking. 2. On the provided cd, install the window-eyes demo from the computer programs for people with visual impairments folder. 3. Set window-eyes to load after startup. Use the default dectalk for window-eyes settings. For every installation do the remainder of the instructions: 4. Copy and paste the “Christian record cd” to the c drive. 1. Under the useful programs from the Christian record cd, install the “bible seeker” and the “affilos bible software early, because they seem to want a lot of room for their data bases. Talking typer and Math flash also seem to want a lot of room. After that, install web ferret, winamp, acrobat, and quick mix and the word web dictionary. Under computer programs for people with visual impairments, install calc2.exe, talking typing tutor, and math flash. Remember, when ever you install a self voicing application, associate the window-eyes silent.000 set file and save the association. The program will often suggest a new name for the file, which is great, because it will keep silent.000 untouched. When you do this, window-eyes becomes silent and lets the new application use the sound card. 2. Windows control panel settings. Display, 800-600 16 Bit High color. If you know that the person getting the computer is a person with low vision, try High contrast Black for the color scheme. Adding mouse enhancements might help to. Try turning on the magnifier in the accessability options if the machine has windows XP on it. 2. Folder options. Classic view, not use active desk top. 3. under file and folder options, Turn on show file extensions for known file types. 4. Apparently some machines are 2000 and some are XP. 5. Select a folder and set the view to list and sort files by name. Then in file and folder options, choose to apply these settings to all folders. 6. Make Shortcuts to the desktop. 7. Sort by name and line up when you are done. “my documents” my computer” my network places”, recycle bin, Internet explorer, adobe reader 7.0, math flash. Talking typer for windows, window-eyes, “fix computer, bible seeker, calculator. I had to rename that one because there are too many things starting with T. Dictionary and Holy bible. Third row, is “Introduction to your computer” quick mix, resources, The Complete reading system, the afilos bible software, Windows Training by Kathy Ann Mertha, and Word pad. 21 Icons in all. Now, the shortcuts. Dictionary goes to word web; the introduction to your computer is at the root of the Christian record folder. Windows training by Kathy Ann Is the folder inside the Christian record folder. Holy bible is Christian record\electronic books\religious texts\the holy bible. I separated the bible from the book of Mormon and the Koran before making the set-up CD. Books by Ellen White has a standard print and a large print copy. Choose which is appropriate for the person receiving the computer. Make a shortcut for wordpad to the desktop. This is found in Programs accessories In the fix computer, I put apswat program terminator, disk cleanup; connect to the internet, and addaware. I realized later, that a lot would have to be done to make these machines internet ready, so Installing Mozilla, web ferret, etc made little sense. I tried Jim Kitchen’s self voicing games, but got a “runtime error” let me know if we can fix that. They also seemed to mess up the speech on the talking calculator. I used quick mix to save three volume settings files. I selected microphone for the input device, but made quiet normal and loud settings changing the master volume from 250, 200, and 150. The files are automatically saved in the documents folder, and I write protected them, so as to maybe keep them safe. I also eliminated everything from the start up group except window-eyes, ran a final disk cleanup, and sent it off. On these machines, the keyboard is the bottom plug and the mouse is the top. Please suggest improvements, and tell me what I need to know. I had to install an older version of winamp, to get it to work under windows-2000. I found that if I associated wordpad with text files, it would come up maximized and read them properly. Shortcut from The Complete reading system can read and save files as .MsWord, or RTF files as well as text files. Acrobat needs to be set up by running it once; I chose all of the disability options. This includes black text on a white back ground. It can be changed if needed. Talks fine. Make a shortcut from the books by Hellen white folder to the desktop. Make a shortcut from the discovering g-d folder to the desktop. Rename the shortcut “discovering God’s lessons”. I have discovered that many of the windows 2000 computers don't have IE6, or the latest windows service pack updates on them. These programs along with the latest jfw demo are on the second setup CD.
No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.5/425 - Release Date: 8/22/2006