AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
VERA R CROWELL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:37:06 -0600
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Excuse me,
Quote:
"It is crucial that the friends of the Ivory Coast stand up to support the
elected Gbagbo government and reject the French moves to take over the
effective control of the country. Particularly, it is not in the
interests of the U.S. to allow French-induced anarchy to return the
Ivory Coast to French power. The French have been working with Gabon to
destabilise Equatorial Guinea on the Corisco Island
business; France has been aiding Blaise Campaore in Burkina over his
efforts to keep U.S. forces from opening a base there against the
terrorists; France has been
supporting the Government of the Sudan in resisting international
pressure over Darfur. Along with Spain the French are seeking an
activist European Union role in the Bight of Benin which is inimical to
U.S. interests, in Equatorial Guinea, Sao Tome, Gabon and Cameroon. It
is not in U.S. long-term or short-term interests to allow the French to
get away with this coup-de-theatre putsch in Abidjan. The African
friends of elected democracy will suffer from such an example.
The U.S. must stand by the Ivory Coast at its time of need and allow
democracy and enlightened self-interest to prevail."

...please tell me that I misread this e-mail. Please tell me I did not
see in here a request for the US to act against French and UN interests,
to build a base to fight terrorists, and to help the people of the Ivory
Coast.  The people on this list, in my experience, have stated that
these types of actions bring down on the US world hatred and disrespect.
Why would we wish to disrespect the world (and the UN) in another place?
Do you really believe John Kerry would buck the UN and France and go in
and help?