Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:33:56 -0400
From:
Kenneth Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Below are the first two pages of the IC-28A manual.  The manual is a pdf
with no text so I had to run the pdf through Omnipage.  If anyone is
interested I'll send them the complete pdf manual and the text as extracted
with Omnipage. I had to smile when I read the bullet regarding the memory
capacity.
.21 MEMORY CHANNELS The IC-28A/E introduces a large capacity memory
73, Ken -N5SWR

FOREWORD
Congratulations for choosing this technically-advanced ICOM product.
The IC-28A/E VHF FM transceiver is the latest addition to the ICOM system of
Amateur radio equipment. Included in the IC-28A/E design is provision for
use of the newly developed Digital Code Squelch method of communicating.
Digital Code Squelch uses the latest digital techniques to create a
communications system capable of dramatically reducing the inconvenience of
heavily populated Amateur bands.
Use the IC-28A/E with the knowledge that this transceiver, and every ICOM
product, is supported by a world-wide network of authorized service centers
and dealers ready to provide assistance efficiently.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
SECTION	1	SPECIFICATIONS 	1
SECTION	2	FEATURES 	2
SECTION	3	CONTROL FUNCTIONS 	3
SECTION	4	INSTALLATION 	8
SECTION	5	OPERATION 	13
SECTION	6	INSIDE VIEWS 	24
SECTION	7	MAINTENANCE 	25
SECTION	8	BLOCK DIAGRAM 	27
SECTION	9	OPTIONS 	28
SECTION	10	SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM	SEPARATE

 	IC-28A/E ACCESSORIES SUPPLIED	QTY.
1.*Microphone 	1
2.Microphone hanger 	1
3.Power cable 	1
4.Fuses (15A) 	2
5. External speaker plug	1
6. Mou nti ng bracket 	1
7.Mounting bracket knobs 	4
8.Mounting screws (self-tapping) 	4
9. Mounting screws 	4
10. Flat washers (large) 	4
11. F Iat washers (small) 	4
12.Nuts 	4
13.Screws/spring washers 	4
14.Support bracket 	1
15.Cable lugs 	2 * IC-28A: HM-12
IC-28E: HM-15

.COMPACT 144MHz MOBILE Smaller than many conventional automobile broadcast
band receivers, the sophisticated IC-28A/E transceiver provides 25 watts of
output power on any frequency in the 2 meter band and contains an internal
speaker as well.
.SIMPLE PANEL DESIGN Front panel layout is extremely simple in spite of the
great number of functions available. The total number of controls on the
front panel is significantly fewer than other models currently available
while, at the same time, new features have been added resulting in a mobile
unit that is safe and easy to use while driving without sacrificing
performance.
.HIGHLY VISIBLE	The LCD front panel readout features a particularly wide
viewing
LCD READOUT	angle designed to enable the driver to easily see the
display, even in bright daylight, without changing position.
.AUTOMATIC DIMMER	Variations in ambient light conditions pose no
problems when using
CIRCUIT the IC-28A/E since the built-in light sensor automatically adjusts a
dimmer circuit to control the backlighting of the display to suit the time
of day or night that you are operating. This feature is particularly
convenient for night operation to reduce eye fatigue caused by overly bright
displays.
.21 MEMORY CHANNELS The IC-28A/E introduces a large capacity memory with 21
fully programmable memory channels. These memory channels place a variety of
communications functions at the fingertips of the driver.
.DUAL SCANNING FUNCTIONS	. FREQUENCY SCAN:
The entire band is searched continuously with frequency increments specified
by the operator.
*MEMORY SCAN:
All memory channels are continuously checked.

.SUBAUDIBLE TONE	With 38 different subaudible tones standard on the
IC-28A (U.S.A.
ENCODER STANDARD	version), maximum communications coverage is assured
by allowing full access to all your local repeaters.
.SQUELCH OPTIONS Two new optional units specially designed for the IC-28A/E
are ideal for handling the crowded band conditions found on 2 meters in many
locations. Either the UT-28 or the UT-29 may be installed.
*UT-28 DIGITAL CODE SQUELCH UNIT:
Incorporating a system of digital coding and decoding, the UT-28 option
allows a "personalized" squelch to be programmed using 1 of 100,000
different code numbers.
.UT-29 TONE SQUELCH UNIT:
The UT-29 is a subaudible tone encoder/decoder which may be installed as an
alternative to the UT-28 Digital Code Squelch Unit.