THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Ann Parks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 06:21:39 -0400
It is possible that you are not converting t4 to t3 very well. The feedback
mechanism reads the T4, so if you have lot of it in circulation, the message
is, "Hey, we got more thyroid than we can handle in the cells!" and the TSH
goes down.  WELL, even mainstream medicine is thinking that, duh, clinical
symptoms might mean that there's not enough T3 in the cells (one converts T4
to T3 as needed) , and that, therefore, one might be having a problem
converting T4 to T3.  What can you do?  It is dangerous to be really hyper-,
so you don't want to mess around too much, but ask your doctor about this,
change docs if necessary.  It is true that hyper symptoms can be similar to
hypo, because in hyper you are burning so much energy that you are exhausted.
 Good luck.  Of course, if you are sure you are hypo, and are desperate, you
could "lose" a prescription, get another one filled at a different drug
store, and use the other one to cut up in little pieces to supplement the one
you've got.  But I wouldn't do that, at least not without exhaussting all
alternatives.