THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K.M. Neves" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 09:50:31 -0300
On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Helen Armstrong wrote:

> >Why did your doctor change your medication from Synthroid to a natural
> >hormone?
>
> Yes, yes tell how you convinced him to change back.  I took Amour for thirty
> years but was switched to synthroid and hate it want to switch back.  I need
> help to convince him.
> Helen

Helen:

Sorry, I don't think I can offer any magic solution for convincing your
doctor to allow you to switch.  I just went in and asked.  Fortunately for
me, I have a wonderful doctor who is very open to trying treatment
alternatives.  She also always offers me the natural alternative to
treatment first.

At the risk of sounding sexist, I always insist on being treated, where
possible, by female doctors.  I find them much more understanding,
empathetic and open-minded.

The advice I would give anyone whose doctor refuses to allow you as a
patient to participate actively in your treatment decision-making is
simple:  get another doctor.  Doctors are not gods -- they are people,
with all the attendant fallibilities and prejudices that go along with it.
It has taken me a long time to find a doctor I respect and with whom I
feel comfortable enough to venture my opinions on my treatment.  My heart
goes out to all of you who are still labouring under the unsympathetic
judgements of your practitioners.

BTW, for anyone who is interested -- I feel amazing!!!  I walked a couple
of miles yesterday, then came home and did a step aerobics tape for the
first time in more than a year!  It was WONDERFUL!!!

In addition to the natural Thyroid, I'm also taking 20,000IU of vitamin A,
400IU of vitamin E, 1000mg of Kelp, a B100 complex, 25mg of chelated Zinc,
and 1000mg of vitamin C.  These were recommended by an article my doctor
gave me when I switched meds.  I sure hope this feeling lasts!

Cheers,

Karen
Halifax, NS, Canada