THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Shomon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 11:00:17 -0500
K.M. Neves wrote:

> Hi!  I'm a newbie, so please pardon me if this has been asked before.
>
> I was diagnosed as hypothyroid in 1988 and am currently taking .112
> Synthroid.  All of my subsequent T3, T4 and TSH results have been normal
> but, in spite of a low-fat vegetarian diet, I have continued to gain large
> amounts of weight.  This seems to occur incrementally.  I will level off
> for a period of months (or, at most, 2 years) and suddenly gain around 30
> pounds.  Also, since my diagnosis, I have suffered with extremely painful
> cystic acne as well as extremely high cholesterol and hirsutism or hair
> growth (especially on my chin). Has anyone else experienced similar
> symptoms? Doctors have basically told me I'm nuts and that these other
> symptoms have nothing to do with my thyroid.
>
> Any advice or shared experience would be most welcome!  Thanks so much!
>
> Sincerely,
> Karen Neves

Karen:

These sound like possible symptoms of an adrenal problem or hormonal
problem. Adrenal problems are sometimes found in conjunction with
thyroid problems. If your doctor hasn't even tested for these situations
or mentioned them, you should consider finding another doctor, because
they're fairly obvious symptoms. The excess hair and acne are signs can
be signs of too much testosterone as well, or excess DHEA production or
intake.

-Mary
--
Mary Shomon, [log in to unmask]