THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brandi Jasmine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 21:09:14 -0400
At 02:35 PM 6/30/97 +0600, you wrote:
>20/20 did a segment on St Johns Wort last week.  Does anyone know if it is
>okay to take this herb if you have Hashimoto's, are hypo, and have IBS? If
>so:  What dosage?  What's the best brand?  (I ask because more than one
>Chinese herb concoction has caused my body to experience adverse
>reactions, herbs that are supposedly without any side effects.)

It's a good idea to check with a herbalist.  I'm taking a local pharmacy
brand, 500 mg, and was told to look for at least 0.3% Hypercin, which is
the active ingredient in St. John's Wort.  You must keep in mind that herbs
are the basis for most pharmaceuticals ARE herbs - they are just purified
and standardized.  Asprin traces its roots (pun intended) to the bark of
the White Willow tree.  Herbs can provoke reactions and side effects JUST
AS STRONG as medications, and should be used with caution.  Do not trust
the advice of anyone who tells you otherwise.  There are quacks and
shysters in herbalism too.

Brandi
--
Brandi Jasmine -- Freelance Writer, Illustrator, Consultant
Visit: http://web.idirect.com/~bjasmine/