THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elaine Chang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:33:40 -0700
Saran:

Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease where your body has antibodies against
your thyroid gland.  As the disease progresses, your antibodies are
destroying your thyroid, making it scar tissue.  At one point, when enough
of the thyroid is unfunctional scar tissue, your thyroid is uncapable of
secreting enough thyroid hormones.  At that point, people with Hashimoto's
will tend to show hypothyroid symptoms.  For example, I have been dx'd with
Hashi's.  My antibody test showed 1750.0 when normal is less than 2.0 (and
no, that's not a typo).  Currently, I don't really have any hypo symptoms,
although it would be easy to blame my slight weight problem on my thyroid.
However, in fact, my T3 and T4 levels are in the middle of the normal range,
but my TSH is 0.00 (undetectable).  Most doctors would say I should be
HYPERTHYROID because of my TSH level, but I don't think I have any
hyperthyroid symptoms either.  In fact, I'm pretty much considered
asymptomatic and I'm not taking any medication.  All I'm doing is taking
blood tests every 6 weeks to monitor the progress.

I hope this helps.  If anyone else has other explanations, feel free to post.

- Elaine