ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:58:00 -0600
I appreciate all the responses.  My own thinking as been along the lines of
most of the replies.  Since he moved to Arizona many years ago and started a
church, he has always been quite busy but as I said, once or twice every
year, then it became once or twice every other year, we would get together
and get caught up on the phone by sharing sermon notes, as well as all the
things that had occurred since we last talked.  My friend's church had grown
to about 70 people and then they decided to merge with another church.  So
the two churches totaled about 150 people.  My friend did not want to be the
pastor and was perfectly satisfied allowing the other man to be the head
pastor.  The church got interested in this program, and I can't recall the
name of the ministry any more, but my friend was assigned to this ministry
out reach.  You were suppose to go make contacts with company heads.  You
presented yourself as a motivational speaker on the family and indeed, when
people in the company were sent to the classes you taught, you focused on
the family in secular ways.  Each couple paid 180 dollars, or single parent,
paid 90 dollars to come.  The idea was, that many of this people could be
followed up as contacts to your church.  In other words, it was a back door
approach to reaching people for Christ.  I never told my friend my opinion
about it.  I read about what they did on the ministry website a few years
back when he first told me about it and I thought it was being dishonest to
the Gospel but I never once told him my opinion.  He told me that he would
eventually be paid a good salary by the church as the expanded ministry
grew.  Anyhow, I just thought his pronouncement that we wouldn't be talking
as much due to his busy schedule was a little strange since we were not
talking all that much in the first place as I mentioned already.  I wish I
could remember the name of the ministry.  I was thinking it was Well Spring
or something but that website doesn't come up so I must not have remembered
the name of the ministry correctly.  thanks for your input.

Phil.