ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 00:30:49 -0500
Motivated for Commitment

Daniel 1:1-20

Although Daniel was living as a captive in Babylon, he resolved in his heart
not to violate God's laws. He never wavered from his commitment. What
motivated
this young man to live out such a pledge?

Devotion to God. Daniel's deep love for the Lord made him determined not to
defile himself with the king's food and wine. Dedication to God means
choosing
to be set apart to love, worship, and obey only Him. It is declaring, "Lord,
every part of me is Yours. I want what You want." When we keep the Lord
Jesus
as the center of our focus, our hearts will overflow with thanksgiving, and
we will be motivated to stand firm.

Clear direction. If Daniel refused outright to eat the king's food, he would
likely have lost his life. So he and his friends turned to God for
direction.
The Lord gave them the wisdom they needed to develop an alternate plan-He
also provided them with the courage to ask permission to follow God's way.
Notice
there were no loud demands, no arguments, and no rebellious spirit. Their
behavior was marked by trust in God and dependence on Him. Jesus promises
that
the Holy Spirit will give us guidance and understanding. (John 16:13) When
we listen closely to His direction, we will be motivated to act.

Through daily prayer and meditation upon God's Word, we can keep our eyes
centered on Christ, our ears attuned to His voice, and our hearts motivated
obey.

We'll be able to make the same wholehearted commitment Daniel did.
(Galatians 2:20) How eager are you to do God's will?