Date:
Wed, 24 May 2006 18:49:42 +0000

Thanks for all of your replies. I have passed them on to my friend!
I wonder if anyone pointed you to a possible pancreatic
problem.  Pancreatic enzymes that can be purchased as a supplement can
help- they contain lipases.

Hi, I have trouble tolerating much fat in my diet also. I can eat butter/margerine on my bread, but have to use Lactaid to have an ice cream, or yogurt or cream. I am fine with a little more processed  cheese. I do not digest fatty fried foods for example.

I have a similar problem which started about 16 years before I was
diagnosed with celiac disease.

It took forever to diagnose (though not as long as the CD!). In my
case, it is caused by a gall bladder problem, caused by my undiagnosed
CD. I don't have gall stones or any pain. But, my gall bladder doesn't
do it's job correctly (officially, it's a low ejection fraction). This
means that whenever I eat almost anything high in fat, I get violently
ill.

I control it by being very careful what I eat. I think this training
actually made it much easier for me adjust to a GF diet.

I always got horribly sick after eating in restaurants, until I learned
the secret.  You have to order things "dry" with no added oil or
butter.  You have to be very specific because restaurants use oil and
butter on EVERYTHING!

I don't know anything to help her, but have always had very poor fat
tolerance and wondered if it is connected.  Would be most interested in
any answers you get.

Sounds like a gall bladder problem to me.  The first time I had a serious
gall baldder attack (November 2005), I couldn't tolerate fats for about six
weeks.  The symptoms were extreme bloating, serious upper abdominal pain,
headache & nausea.  Some people also get diarrhea from gallbladder attacks.
I did a bunch of reading on the internet & consulted with my doctor about
preventing gallbladder attacks.  I eliminated the most common offending
foods mentioned in the literature and I now can tolerate moderate amounts of
certain fats.

The offenders I had to eliminate are:  nuts, eggs, onions, pork, cow's milk
cheese & coconut milk.

However, I can tolerate butter, goat milk cheese, olive oil & coconut oil.
Go figure.

There's frequently an allergy component to gallbladder problems, so I'm
assuming that my intolerance of these certain foods is an allergic reaction
cou pled with their high in fat content.   I read that food allergies cause
the bile ducts to swell so that bile doesn't flow freely.  When fats are
consumed, the gallbladder cramps in a effort to empty.  In extreme cases,
the ducts swell shut, causing extremely painful cramping.  Whenever bile
flow is impeded the result will naturally be  indigestion, bloating, etc.

my mom and I have celiac and we find that if we eat something fatty we ha=

ve=20
alot of problems and have celiac like symptoms.  i asked a person from th=

e=20
celiac center from somewhere at a meeting if it was common for celiacs to=

=20
have problems digesting fat, she just kind of blew it off, but i know we =

i=20
have a problem with it.  so i just have to=20

when i bake stuff, instead of using butter i use coconut oil.  i also use=

=20
this when the recipe calls for vegetable oil. coconut oil has a healing=20=

effect on the digestive system.  unrefined coconut oil has a nice coconut=

=20
flavor, and refined coconut oil has no flavor.  there are high quality an=

d=20
not too expensive brands at most health food stores.

I don't know if I have any good tips except to cut out whatever makes me feel sick. I also cannot tolerate fat in my diet so I have cut out most fat.   I even stopped eating salmon.  I'm not sure if it was the fat or the fact that farm raised salmon are grain fed or both but I cut it out of my diet. I read labels carefully and buy few prepared or snack foods.  Otherwise, I eat fruit with no fat yogurt, vegetables and salad with olive oil and apple cider vinegar and white meat chicken or extra lean beef for hamburgers. Hope this is helpful.

 I'm currently seeing a
nutritionist - and was having that problem. Turns out she thought my
gallbladder needed some attention and recommended eating beets 2 to 3
times a week. There are other holistic remedies such as olive oil, etc.,
etc., - but you may want to check with a nutritionist.  The mucosa may
still be damaged or being affected by ingesting hidden gluten.

I think it is pretty common.  Our daughter, her Dad and I all were positive
gliadin antibodies and all have problems with fat.  My father also whom I
suspect is celiac but refuses testing (at 84).  We all take vitamin E with a
meal
that is fatty and have much less trouble.  Vitamin E contains a certain amt.
of
natural lecithin which emulsifies fat.  My parents heard that on Carlton
Frederick's
nutrition radio programs 20 years ago and it has worked for all of us.
Our dau. is soy allergic so we get rice oil vitamin E from yasoohealth.com

My grandfather who had MS and died in 1970 and could have been celiac had
gallbladder problems too.

One other thing that helps is not drink anything cold like cold soda or iced
tea with
the fat.  I think my mother read somewhere it solidifies the fat in the
stomach and makes it harder to digest than if it is in a liquid form.

I am a Celiac and can not tolerate fat in my diet either.  I eat boneless skinless chicken breast, seafood, and ostrich or emu.  I can eat some plant fats:  Nuts, olive oil, and avocado / guacamole.  Your body does need fat and you have to try different things till you find items that your body will tolerate.