From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:32:48 -0700

I can hardly believe it, but can't think of any other explanation.  I
believe I've gotten "glutenated" simply by baby sitting toddlers.  In the
last few months I've happily tended my grandchildren at their home two times
a week.  They eat crackers & normal snacks all day long.  I don't eat
anything except for the food I bring myself & I am very careful to wash my
hands frequently.  BUT ... every single time, without exception, I've gotten
sick after tending them.  At first I thought I had "caught a virus" from the
kids or whatever.   But I kept seeing the pattern with 100% consistency.
Now I'm sure that I've gotten "glutenated" from simply being in a highly
contaminated environment.

When I think about it, it makes sense that I could have gotten contaminated
so easily.  Gluten is everywhere there.  It's on every surface the kids
touch (couches, pillows, blankets, hair brushes, etc.), it's on their
clothing, in their hair, under their fingernails, etc.  There's really no
way to avoid it unless I simply don't touch ANYTHING while I'm there or
perhaps I cover my mouth with duct tape!  When you tend toddlers that's just
not possible.  I've told their mom that I'm happy to sit the kids, but it
must from now on be at my house & they must eat only my food when they are
with me.

This is probably the biggest disappointment I've had to face as a celiac.
This makes me feel even more like prisoner of my GF kitchen than ever
before.

Have any of you had similar experiences?  (Please keep your responses brief.
  I'm really pressed for time lately.)

Valerie in Tacoma