ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:33:27 -0500
Do Not Quench the Spirit

Ephesians 4:30

A campfire needs fuel to burn. Campers will add dry sticks and leaves to
keep the flames high and hot, but when it is time to sleep, they will either
starve
the fire or forcibly put it out with water or dirt.

The Lord has lit a fire in every believer's heart. We must learn to heed
Paul's warning against quenching the Spirit and tend the flame of faith with
care
(1 Thessalonians 5:19). A newly saved person is sealed forever as a child of
God by the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. Nothing can expel Him
from
their being. But with our actions and attitudes, we can stifle His voice. As
Christians, we are to walk by the Spirit, relying upon Him to give guidance
and fulfill our needs. When we choose to sin, however, the Spirit of God is
muffled and consequently unable to operate as He normally does. It is as if
we throw cold water on our heart's fire.

Saying no when the Spirit prompts us to obey is rebellion. If we do not
prayerfully deal with the fallout from our disobedience, we begin to drift
away
from the Lord. Other interests pull our attention away from reading the
Bible and talking with God. Church loses its appeal. Our hungering and
thirsting
after the things of Christ wanes so we cease to feed our soul. Our faith
fire slowly starves into ash.

Believers must fuel their flame with spiritual "kindling" - prayer, reading
God's Word, sharing the Gospel, and serving others. A hot fire has cleansing
power. When we confess our sins and practice these disciplines, our heart
stays clean. And the power of God flows through a clean hear