ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2006 17:45:49 -0500
The Testing of Our Commitment

Hebrews 11:8-19

In the "stretch" times of life, when God is testing us, He will teach us new
and deeper truths about Himself, His purposes, and His promises. The
difficulties
are often painful, but they are always designed to be beneficial.

 From a human perspective, times of testing can be baffling because we don't
understand how anything good could result. Consider God's command that
Abraham
sacrifice his long-awaited son Isaac. Abraham's earthly viewpoint could have
regarded this order as:

. Unreasonable-"God, I cherish my son above all else. How could You ask this
of me?"

. Untimely-"Why now, Lord? My son is still young. He is the one through whom
my descendants are to come."

. Unfair-"It's not right that You ask me this. Haven't I left home and
friends to follow You?"

. Unbearable- "This is too hard for me. I cannot take this pain."

Abraham rejected that kind of thinking. Instead, he trusted God and refused
to turn away. The trial revealed Abraham's unshakable commitment to the Lord
's
plan.

Knowing which circumstances will help us grow, our Father asks us to
exercise faith and choose His way. Recalling His unending love and
wholehearted commitment
to His children will help us do this. Be assured that God makes no mistakes
in His dealings with us.

Imagine Abraham's joy when the Lord provided a ram as a sacrifice in Isaac's
place. We will receive the same reward of spiritual joy when we remain
steadfast.
Won't you respond to times of testing as Abraham did-by trusting and obeying
God?