ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Schwery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:18:22 -0400
Phil, this is thought provoking.  As you know, I was spiritually
raised in Baptist churches and graduated from a Baptist Bible
college.  And I agree with you that the pages of a bible, print or
Braille, aren't holy.  They are just so much wood pulp.  Maybe, it is
human frailty, but when I had a Braille bible, I had more affection
for those volumes than I did for other books.  I think I have more
affection for my puter and for my Braille Lite because the bible is
in them.  And there is just something about that ol' American flag,
Sousa marches, the Star Spangled Banner, fire crackers, and guns at
funerals, that stir my heart.  I know they are just things but they
cause me to think about our country, freedom, and the sacrifices of
our soldiers and their families and that is why my heart gets
stirred.  I think that how people treat symbols shows the attitudes
that they have for the things those symbols represent.  If a person
tramples the flag underfoot, even though he has the freedom to do so,
I doubt if he has a high opinion of this country.

John