From:
Walt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:07:18 -0400
Since hardly anybody's producing them, especially in quantity, any tubes can
cost an arm and a leg these days. The solid state models of that radio that
I saw were excellent, especially considering the state of the art at the
time. I don't know if they're still available, but I recall that you used to
be able to buy plug-in replacements for vacuum tubes that were actually
pretty sophisticated little devices that essentially converted the device to
solid state technology, but I never actually heard any equipment that used
them and don't know what they might have sounded or performed like.