VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:40:22 -0500
From: "Steve Hoad" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2005 4:49 PM

> This reminds me of the recent elevator article in AccessWorld talking
> about
> touch pad elevators.
> If we don't get in on the ground floor, they'll get ahead of us, just like
> ATMs.  There is still a shocking lack of ATMs that are accessible here in
> Maine.

**Steve, Automatic Teller Machines were introduced in 1969, a time where
blind people were struggling to obtain basic civil rights protection through
state white cane laws and create systems for basic independence.  ATMs
pre-date the personal computer and the microprocessor, two important
innovations useful in creating accessible technology.  I don't know if
engaging the banking industry in 1969 would have accomplished much in regard
to obtaining talking ATMs for the blind, as you state.

Much of the ATM access activity has focused on very large financial
institutions which for the most part have operations in highly populated
areas of the country.  Also, the people who have put in the work on this
issue have come from areas of highly organized and politically active blind
people, such as California, Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, and the Carolinas.
Nearly all of the talking ATMs so far are a result of legal action of some
kind.  If some folks in Maine want more talking ATMs and are willing to put
in the work to make a truly useful solution happen, let me know and we can
discuss some ideas and approaches.

Kelly