From:
Mike Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:57:27 -0500
Hi all,

I'm new to this list, but have been a follower of the Paleo Diet for years.

I have a 15 month old son, whom we've rigorously been feeding according to
Paleo standards.  He's been breastfed until 1, introduced to solid foods
around 6 months, and has eaten the Paleo foods I eat (meat, fish, fruits,
veggies) exclusively.  And he eats ravenously.

The issue is that he is very much on the low end of the growth charts
(bottom 5-10% weight, bottom 20% length).  I had expected him to grow slower
than formula fed babies, but am getting a bit concerned.  My wife and I are
both in the upper part of the growth charts (I'm 6'1, she's 5'8"), so I
wouldn't think genetics are keeping him small.  Does anyone know of any
research/info on what would be expected of a Paleo baby?

Another concern I have is that although I thoroughly belive that Paleo is
the right way to eat, babies that eat a more 'normal' (by societal
standards) diet tend to grow quicker and larger.  Is there a chance that
this 'larger' growth could result in better brain/mental
growth/functioning.  My concern stems from our son's somewhat slow milestone
achievement ... he's just starting to learn words and hasn't really walked
yet (though does a great job of 'crusing').

Thanks for any info.

Best Regards,
Mike