NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:35:58 EST
Casein intolerance is a misnomer. You can have lactose intolerance or milk
protein allergy - to casein or whey or to both - but you shouldn't use the term
casein intolerance. I understand the confusion, and it's made worse by people
who use the equally inaccurate and outdated term gluten intolerance, but
allergies are not intolerances.

This carry over of older and inaccurate terms also is a problem in food
labeling. My understanding of the current law is that any food labeled lactose-free
must be completely, 100%, free of lactose. A food labeled dairy-free should
also be free of dairy. If you can give me the names of specific foods labeled
dairy-free that contain dairy-derived ingredients I'd appreciate it.

Non-dairy foods are slightly different. In the old days non-dairy could be
applied to foods that contained no direct dairy ingredients but could include
foods with dairy-derived ingredients like casein or caseinate. Today every
dairy-derived ingredient on the ingredients list must have words similar to "A milk
product" appended after it on the list. That might still allow non-dairy on
the front of the packaging, since that's treated with a different regulation.
I'd like any actual current examples of those as well.

Goat milk and products made from it are tolerated by some - certainly not all
- people with protein allergies because they have a different breakdown of
proteins  than cow's milk does. If you have a mild allergy then it shouldn't be
a problem to try some, but I'd advise against it for severely allergic people.

I have all the major dairy alternative products listed on my web site, along
with contact information for each company. Go to the Products section at:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper/nondairy.htm

If you know of any products not listed please send me an email at

There's lots of other information available there as well. My Bookstore lists
every book on lactose intolerance, milk allergy, gluten allergy, and other
cookbook aimed at people wanting to avoid milk that's available on Amazon. It
should save you a lot of searching. I don't focus on milk allergies but I carry
some information on it and links to many better sites.

Steve Carper
Steve Carper's Lactose Intolerance Clearinghouse
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper