From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:55:15 -0400
Hi Howard.

I use the three programs that I just mentioned to Hank.  I use Audacity to
clean up any speed errors, Groove Mechanic to remove the tape his, and Nero
Wave Editor if I need to boost the high frequency end at all.

Generally, I do not use the Dolby NR on the cassette deck as I find that it
beats up the high frequency too much, and the noise reduction algorithm in
Groove Mechnic does a better job.

73, de Lou K2LKK

P.S.  If you have access to an external synthesizer for your screen reader,
you'll get a lot better results with your recordings.  The software
synthesizers take too much processor time to allow programs like Audacity
and Groove Mechnic to process in real time, which will cause your
recordings to break up, have drop outs, record at the wrong speed, or even
occasionally come out blank.

If you don't have access to a hardware synthesizer, I can send you some
quick and dirty scripts that I wrote to toggle the speech off and on while
processor intensive tasks are running.