From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:01:57 -0400
On Aug 29, 2006, at 9:58 AM, Walt Smith wrote:

> And the Novice CW requirement used to be 5 words per minute and for
> General,
> you actually had to work a little and get that up to 13. Then, if
> you wanted
> to join the rarified atmosphere in the Extra portions of the band....

Yes indeedy. And don't forget that there was a time before the
codeless license. (I got my Novice then, so did Walt, judging by his
call--he got his right when they changged the callsign issuing
system!) I skipped right over tech and went to general, except that I
got to fail both elements at once the month before, because they
accidentally gave them to me in the wrong order. Of course, had I
taken the test just a year before (before March 1987 instead of
after), tech and general would've been exactly the same written test,
the only difference being the code test and associated frequency
privileges.

Bear in mind that there's absolutely nothing magic about 5/13/20
words per minute. In the 1930's, I think the code test was 10 words
per minute. I forget when it was changed, for general/conditional, to
13. I reckon it was after WW2, but it might have been before.
Something tells me the reasoning had to do with the "plateau" many
people reach at 10 WPM and the next one that they tend to reach
around 18 WPM. I somehow managed to bypass both plateaus, don't ask
me how, but I was a 20 WPM Novice for a month, quite by accident.

Theere's a great series of articles written by Bill Continelli,
W2XOY, called the Ancient Amateur Archives, which gives some really
interesting ham radio history tidbits. I have all 30-something of
them. If anyone wants them, I'll send theem along...I have to find
the URL for them again.

While I certainly would have had no problems if the FCC had decided
to keep code requirements as they were before restructuring, I'm not
losing any sleep over the fact that there's only the one 5 WPM test
anymore. And while I'd prefer they keep a code requirement at least
for Extra when things change again, I won't be surprised at all if
they don't. Change is inevitable, even if it's just change for its
own sake and with no real reason to believe it will improve anything.
I really like the way that Canada's implemented its rules, with two
paths, effectively, to hf operations, thus keeeping a code
requirement while making it possible to get on HF without one so
everyone's happy, more or less. Especially since I know that the code
requirement going away is almost inevitable. (Doesn't mean i have to
like it, but I won't think the hobby's going to hell in a handbasket
because of it, either...it hasn't happened yet. It's interesting to
note that the end of ham radio has been predicted by people who don't
like whatever changes are occurring since, well, probably the
beginning actually.) Whatever the code requirements, I'll certainly
be found in the bottom half of the bands!

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV : Executive In Training! Watkins Manager #361534
Shop our catalog of timeless Watkins products at www.tastyshop.net
And see how becoming a Watkins associate will improve your family's
quality of life at www.tastybiz.com