From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 20:10:06 -0700
Hi Jeff,

I took my handheld and a portable receiver to Jamaica with me five years ago
and actually got permission to operate in Jamaica.  It turned out they have
a linked repeater system all over the island so you can talk to anyone
anywhere on the island with a handheld.  I would suggest that you look up
the ham organizations for the countries where you stop and begin making
inquiries about what it takes to operate there.  Then, if you had
permission, you could operate with your call portable from the ship or
perhaps even pedestrian mobile while visiting.

As far as receiving, the Caribbean is a great place.  It's no wonder
contesters love it.  You can listen on a portable receiver and hear Europe
coming as well as the U.S. and the rest of the western hemisphere.  You
should enjoy it a lot.

Good luck and very 73.
Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX