From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:49:44 -0600
they must have massive fuel tanks under ground then.
You would not believe how much fuel it takes to run an entire municipal
building on diesel fuel alone.

Its probably not the case at your EOC Tom, but I know most
hospitals/municiple buildings or other necessary infrastructure complexes
assume that when their 24 hours of fuel runs out, they can always get
more...but dependant upon the disaster, they may not be able to get it.
One of the things our local ARES focuses on in their training and when they
go and present emergency operations plans to different agencies is the fact
that most buildings really do not have the alternate back up they think they
do.
They bass their fuel usage on normal peace time senarios forgetting that
durring emergencies, consumtion will increase and fuel will likely be
scarce.
Hospitals are especially bad for this since their power usage is extremely
high even at minimal operations...and of course, in the case of natural
disaster where there is mass injury or casualty, their usage increases
beyond that of their normal everyday usage.

People involved in the New Orleans operations can likely attest to the fact
that alternate power sources were not dependable and certainly not even near
what was presumed to be there.
73
Colin, V A6BKX