Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:49:16 -0500

I just read the listserv regarding Pei Wei Restaurant's pork and beef not
being gluten free and I can confirm this.  I just ate there last week and I
was given a print out by the manager which appears to be an internal menu
with comments for cooks and servers which I will summarize here:

The Pei Wei Spicy chicken salad, pei wei spicy, pei wei sweet and sour can
no longer be ordered with pork or beef because of the soy sauce in the
marinade.  When cooking in oil, always use wok oil only.  All items may
still be dredged in potato starch.  Coin carrots and sugar snap peas are
omitted from dishes because they are blanced in the stock pots, where they
blanch the noodles.  The only vegetables you can have are steamed, such as
those used in sweet & sour which is green peppers, onions and pineapple.
The non-battered chicken, shrimp and scallops are okay.  Under miscellaneous
notes it says "if ordered steamed it must be cooked in plain water.  The
vegetable stock cannot be used because it becomes contaminated from the
blanching of the noodles".  Additionally, another comment "Just because
"Chang's does it", we unfortunately cannot. This is our gluten free menu and
although it is small we are looking at new items we can put on here".  I
hope this helps everyone.

*******
*******