ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:52:56 -0600
I was about ten at the time.  There is always one guy in a group that gets
picked on and tormented.  So, this week, we had probably 30 kids in the same
cabin.  This church camp was on a nice lake.  For the first couple of days,
this one kid, and I have no idea why we singled him out, we picked on like
you can't believe.  At night, some boys had come with uncooked bags of
beans.  They threw them all around at our bunk beds during lights out.
Sometimes
they threw handfuls of beans.  Sometimes whole bags were tossed across the
room.  In the morning, it looked like, on the floor, that it had snowed
indoors.  The picked on kid, the second night, started yelling.  Come to
find out, one of the tossed beans went right into his ear.  They had to take
him to the emergency room 30 miles away in the middle of the night so a
doctor could fish the bean out of his ear.  No fooling.  Anyhow, after a
couple of days of being one of the boys, I felt sorry for this kid so I
started being his buddy.  I gave him things and even gave him some of my
candy I bought.  We talked and hung around together.  There was absolutely
nothing wrong with this kid.  I mean, he didn't have big ears that stuck
out,
pink hair, or anything.  He just had a bull's eye painted on his forehead,
as far as we were concerned, and we just bugged the daylights out of the
poor guy.  Like I said, though, I finally felt bad and started hanging out
with him.  Until the last day of camp, though.  Listen, for some reason, any
time I went to church camp, I went to hell in a hand basket on the last day.
I mean, I tortured everybody.  Remind me to tell you what I did to the two
girls in my next message.  Anyhow, this kid was not in the cabin as a few of
us packed up.  This kid had a large duffle bag.  Two guys dragged it outside
and over to a huge sand box for children to play in.  They began filling the
bag with sand.  Yes, all the kid's clothes were in the bottom of the bag.
Well, I never wanted to be left out so when they encouraged me to help them,
and this kid was no where to be found, I helped out.  The bag, now full of
clothes and sand, must have weighed a ton.  We lifted it up, with a great
deal of effort, to the rafters of the sand box, it had a roof over it, and
hung his duffle bag high off the ground and left.  Amen, brother.  Preach
it.  I've always felt guilty about this so this is why I am telling you now.
Yeh,
sure.

Phil.